Each Australian State and Territory has separate legislation covering the recognition of nursing qualifications.

To practice nursing you have to be registered with the local State or Territory nursing Board.

Before you can start working as a nurse, you need to complete two separate processes.

The first step is Recognition of your Overseas nursing Qualification by the Australian Nursing Council.

The second step is Registration with the State Nursing Board.

Recognition is the first step and common to all Overseas Trained Nurse. Registration is applicable only to the Overseas Trained Nurse whose qualification has already been recognized by Australian Nursing Council and who is going to work in a place that is within the jurisdiction of the Nursing Board.

Generally if you are registered with one State Nursing Board, you can practice freely in the other states. But, rules and regulations always change. So, you must always contact the respective State Nursing Board for current procedures.

Information for overseas nurses: